Kalinchowk Trek 3 days
Kalinchowk is a popular hill station in Nepal located northeast of the capital city in the Dolakha district. The distance between Kathmandu and Kalinchowk is around 150 km and hence is easily accessible and is a great spot for weekend trips. Every year thousands of visitors visit Kalinchowk for skiing, hiking, and cable car ride and to offer prayers to Kalinchowk Bhagwati at Kalinchowk Bhagwati temple. The temple is one of the major attractions of Kalinchowk, that elevates at 3842m and offers a majestic panorama of Langtang Himal (7234m), Ganesh Himal (7422m), Dorje Lakpa (6966m), Jugal Himal (6095m) and Gaurishankar (7134m). Although people prefer Kalinchow for tours rather than treks, the Kalinchow 3 days trek is the best way to experience the Kuri village, which is more than just a gateway to Kalinchowk.
During your 3 days Kalinchowk trek, you will trek through the Gaurishankar conservation area that connects two major National parks of Nepal, Langtang National Park and Sagarmatha National Park. Amazing right?
So let's get the full details for your next trip to Kalinchowk.
Highlights of Kalinchowk:
- ▪ Unobstrucated panorama of snow-capped pinnacles from hilltop temple and Kuri village.
- ▪ Beautiful Kuri village.
- ▪ Trek through the rich landscape of Gaurishankar conservation area.
- ▪ Skiing and other snow activities.
- ▪ Enjoy the cable car ride to the temple.
- ▪ Explore the mythology related to the temple and Kuri village.
Kalinchowk Trek 3 Days Itinerary:
Day 1: Drive to Charikot (1554m) and Hike to Kuri Village (3447m):
The Kalinchowk trek officially begins from Charikot, the headquarter of the Dolakha district. Charikot can be reached after a 5-6 hour ride from Kathmandu and runs along the Arniko highway that offers captivating countryside views.
The town is bordered by the Sunkoshi and Khimti Rivers on the west and east. On the northeast and the western side are captivating Rolwaling and Gauri Shankar Himal. Apart from being the gateway to the Kalinchowk area, Charikot is the oldest Newari town which has preserved its culture to this time. There are several attractions around like the Dolkha Bhimeshwar temple-the oldest temple in the town, Kotihom, Mahangkal and Pashupati.
After arriving at Charikot, you will start your journey towards Kuri village through lush woodlands and village areas like Deurali. Enjoying the views of the Himalayas and beautiful landscape, you will arrive at the cosy Kuri village filled with lodges and restaurants.
✔ Kathmandu to Charikot distance: 150 Km.
✔ Charikot to Kuri village distance: 15 Km
✔ Drive: 2-3 hours
✔ Hike: 6-7 hours
Day 2: Hike up to the Kalinchowk Bhagwati temple and head down to Kuri village:
The ascent from Kuri village to Kalinchowk is not exhausting as the previous day. With slow and steady climb on the stony pathway, you will gain atltitude and arrive at the temple in 2 hours. If you make it on time, you can enjoy the sunrise view from the top which is magical specially because of the panoramic sights of the Gaurishankar and Ganesh himal. After capturing this moment, you can seek blessing from Kalinchowk Bhagwati and soak yourself in the majestic views from the hilltop.
After spending few hours in the hill, you will hike down to Kuri village and spend the rest of the day exploring the village. Located at 2300m, Kuri is a traditional village that offers breathtaking sights of the Himalayas and a peek into the daily life of the locals.
✔ Distance: 2.5 Km
✔ Trek Duration: 1-2 hours
Day 3: Trek down to Charikot and drive to Kathmandu
The Kalinchowk 3-day trek ends today, so prepare to bid goodbye to the Himalayas. Pack your bags and get ready for the downhill journey to Charikot. You will follow the same route as the first-day trip and drive back to Kathmandu.
Best Season to visit Kalinchowk
People visit Kalinchowk throughout the year especially to seek blessings from Kalinchowk Bhagwati. However, the hype of this place is during winter, when the whole area is covered in snow. The sights of the snow-covered roof of the houses, lodges and Himalayas are worth capturing. During winter, people can also ski or play with snow and capture their wonderful memories amidst the Himalayas. Hence, December to February is the perfect time for snowfall at this time of the year.
However, if you are not a snow person, the best time for you to visit can be during the Spring season (March to May) and Autumn (September to November), during which the climate is pleasant, and the trails are filled with blooming rhododendron flowers and other wildflowers. This time of the year is also best for cycling, picnic trips, hiking and camping around Dolakha.
Things to do during your Kalinchowk trek:
✔ Seek Blessings from Kalinchowk Bhagwati:
Kalinchowk Bhagwati temple is dedicated to the goddess Kali, who meditated on the highest point of Kalinchowk, Sumeru Parvat. It is said that she fought with the evil who tried to cause harm during her meditation. And after the battle between Kali and the evil, kali won against them, and their corpse was left to decay in the place where the Kuri village lies today. Hence it is named Kuri, which means shame or disgrace in Nepali.
It is believed that Kalinchowk Bhagwati listens to the prayers and desires of the pilgrims and fulfills them. So, during your visit, offer your praying and get blessings from the divine goddess.
✔ Hop up on a cable car:
The cable car ride in Kalinchowk started in 2018 and is running smoothly from Kuri to Kalinchowk. The 2.5 km distance is completed in just five minutes, while it took 1-2 hours for pilgrimages to reach the temple before its establishment. The ride offers a beautiful view of the village and the surrounding Himalayas.
✔ Enjoy the panorama of the Himalayas:
You can enjoy the sights of several Himalayas from the Kuri village. But the view of Langtang Himal, Ganesh Himal, Dorje Lakpa, Jugal Himal and Gaurishankar from the top of the hill is extraordinary. So during your visit, soak yourself in the views of the vistas that scream nothing but magnificent.
1. How is the road from Kathmandu to Kalinchowk?
- The road from Kathmandu to Kalinchowk is half pitched, and half-rough, where the first 80 km of the portion is smooth, and the rest 70 Km is off-road.
2. Which is the best time to visit Kalinchowk?
- The best time to visit Kalinchowk is during the winter. The months of December to February are the most favourable ones.
3. What is Kalinchowk famous for?
- Kalinchowk is known for the Kalinchowk Bhagwati temple and snow activities. During the winter, people visit Kalinchowk to ski and to enjoy the snowfall. Apart from this, the sights of the Himalayas from the hill are breathtaking. Hence, people go for a weekend trip to Kalinchowk to enjoy the serene beauty.
4. What is the altitude of Kuri village?
- Located just beneath the Kalinchowk temple, the altitude of Kuri village is 3447m and offers a 360-degree panorama of the Himalayas.
5. How long is Kalinchowk Cable Car?
- Kalinchowk Cable Car is a distance of 2.5 km and will take duration of 5-6 minutes approx.
Other Popular Blogs:
✔ Best Cycling Trails in Kathmandu
✔ Best Holiday Destinations during Dashain Holiday
✔ 15 Things To Do During Visit to Chitwan
Our Special Trips
- Everest Base Camp Trekking (Private Trek) - 15 Days
- Annapurna Base Camp Trekking - 10 Days
- Everest View Trek - 8 Days
- Everest Base Camp Kala Pattar Trek - 15 Days
- Annapurna Base Camp Trekking - 15 Days
- Annapurna Base Camp Trek – 13 Days
- Kathmandu Nagarkot Private Day Tour - 1 Day
- Kathmandu Valley View & Cultural Trekking - 6 Days
- Similar Tibet Culture and Langtang Valley Trekking - 12 Days
4 Feb, 2023
Khumai Danda Trek - A Short Popular Destination for 2023
2 Nights 3 Days Package Kathmandu to Kalinchowk